​Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the Hanford Hub?
A: Just as a "hub" is a place that forms an effective center of an activity, so is the Hanford Hub! It is here that students, faculty, and community members can be helped regarding all types of services provided for by COS Hanford. As a student, you can get all of your questions answered—from buying a parking pass to checking on Financial Aid and from getting help with Banner Web to Registration. If a student is interested in finding out about student activities that are happening—the Hub will have your answers! Need a computer to check on registration, financial aid, and any other student service related issue? Yes, that’s right, visit the Hub! We are here to help!

Q: What hours is somebody at the Hanford Hub Vocational Building to help me with student service issues (financial aid, cashier’s office, etc.)?
A: During the semester when classes are in session, the front desk is staffed on Monday- Friday from 8:00a.m. until 4:30 p.m. The office is closed on Saturday and Sunday. Summer hours may change.
Q: What kind of classes do you offer at the Hanford Educational Center?
A: We offer a variety of classes, most of which being General Education. We also have our Fire Academy and Police Academy courses available here!
Q: Where can I find what classes you offer?
A: Our class schedule is available on the campus website, www.cos.edu. If you’d like to see classes that are offered specifically at the Hanford Center, on the search page under "Location" click "Hanford Center."
Q: Do I need a student ID card? What can I do with it?
A: Every current COS student should get their free Student ID Card (any replacement card is $5). Once a student pays his/her Activity/Benefits fee, the student will receive a sticker (good for the semester) which will allow you to participate in clubs, reduced admission to school activities, etc. In addition, when you pay the fee, you will receive a  Discount Sticker—which gives you savings/discounts to over 30 businesses! Stop by the Hanford Hub to get yours!
Q: How do I make a counseling appointment at the Hanford Center?
A: Please call the Hanford Hub at 559.583.2500. Each Monday morning, appointments are opened for the following two weeks. In addition, please watch your email/newsletters for walk-in counseling hours. Typically, walk-in counseling hours are scheduled during high demand times. As such, please plan to get to the Center early to make sure that you are able to see a counselor.
Q: Do I have to take a placement test before I can register for classes?
A: Currently, you do not have to take the placement test before your first semester, if you are not taking English, Math, or anything requiring Math or English placement. You will, however, need to take the placement test before registering for your second semester.
Q: Can I take a Placement test in Hanford? How long does the Assessment (Placement) Test take?
A: You can schedule a Placement Test to be in Hanford by calling 559.583.2500. If you are taking both the Math and English Placement Tests, you should allow two hours—although we find that many of our students finish earlier. If you are only taking one of the two placement tests, plan on about half of that time. Testing is available Monday through Thursday at 8:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., and/or 2:00 p.m. Please note: you MUST bring a photo ID with you to the testing session and you are responsible for purchasing a day-pass for parking on campus. Day passes cost $2.00.
Q: What if I need to take an ESL (CELSA) or Ability to Benefit (ATB) test? Can I take it in Hanford?
A: We do not currently offer the ESL (CELSA) test or the Ability to Benefit (ATB) test in Hanford. We do, however, offer the basic ESL placement test. To make an appointment for this test, call The Hub at 559.583.2500. To make an appointment for the ESL (CELSA) test, please call the Assessment Office on the Visalia Campus at 559.730.3737.
Q: How can I order my transcripts?
A: Both Official and Unofficial transcripts are available online in your BannerWeb. Log onto our website, www.cos.edu, log in to BannerWeb, click "Student Services and Financial Aid", and click "Student Records". There, you will find links to your transcript options. The first two copies of your Official Transcript are free. After that a $6 fee will be charged.
Q: When is the financial aid application deadline?
A: The deadline is the end of June of every school year. For instance, applying for financial aid for the 2017-2018 will start in August 2017 and ending in June 2018. However, it is best to apply as soon as the application opens up (October) and before class starts to receive your financial aid on time. 
Q: What is the Federal School Code for COS?
A: The Federal School Code for COS is 001186.
Q: What are the payout dates for Financial Aid?
A: Always check our Monthly Event Newsletter for the most current payment dates. The newsletters can be found on our website by clicking on "Hanford Center", then "Events and Activities", then "Monthly Event Newsletters", or simply click here: Monthly Event Newsletters. You may also go to the Financial Aid website as they may post dates there as well. From www.cos.edu, click on "Financial Aid".
Q: What do I need to know about parking at COS Hanford?
A: Students with a parking pass may park in any unmarked parking space. Daily parking permits are $2/day and are available via machine outside the Education Building and out in the back parking lot (solar controlled). Parking is head-in parking only. Daily permits need to be placed in the driver’s side dash face up. Semester permits are available for purchase online at www.buymypermit.com/cos and at the Hub for $25. Follow the instructions you receive with this permit as they state where the permit should be affixed. RESERVED parking is for staff with a staff permit.


Q: What are the Computer Lab hours?
A: During the semester (when school is in session): Monday through Thursday: 8:00am – 8:00pm; Friday: 8:00am – 4:00pm; Sat & Sunday: Closed. The Librarian's hours are subject to change each semester. Contact the Hub for current hours. Summer Session hours may vary.
Q: How do I login to a computer in the library?
A: To login to a computer in the library you will use the same username and password as you would for your Universal Login. 
Q: What happens if I sign up for a class and then don’t attend? Do I need to drop the class myself or will my instructor drop me?
A: It is the student’s responsibility to drop any class in which he/she no longer wants to be enrolled, regardless if the drop occurs before or after the semester begins. It is never advisable to depend on anyone else to drop your class.
Q: When is the last day I can drop a class and receive a refund? When is the last day to drop a class to receive a “W” and not a grade (and no refund)?
A: Refund and Final Drop Deadlines are printed in the Schedule of Classes, posted on signs and banners in several campus locations AND they are also posted for each CRN on our WEB Class Search. This is especially useful for short-term classes as they each have a separate drop date. Generally, for full-term classes, a course dropped before the end of the second week will result in no "W" and a refund; courses dropped between the third and the end of the 10th week will result in a "W" and no refund. Material fees are not refunded unless the class is dropped prior to the start of the semester.
Q: How can I find my professor’s email address or office phone number?
A: Go to www.cos.edu, click on "About COS", then click "Staff Directory". If there is not a phone number available and the professor teaches at the COS Hanford Center, you may call 583.2500 and we can leave a note in the professor's mailbox. However, professors don't always check their mailboxes on a daily basis so it is recommended to email the instructor.
Last Updated: 6/19/2018 10:29 AM