Campus Security Advisers 

The following are defined by the Jeanne Clery Act as District Police Authorities.

  • District Police or Security Department
  • Individuals with Campus Security Responsibility - Any individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department, such as an individual who is responsible for monitoring entrance into institutional property. Examples of this category are: parking enforcement staff, event security staff, and bicycle patrol staff.
  • Individuals Designated by the Campus - Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of campus security policy as one to which students and employees should report criminal offenses. Examples include: President's Office, Student Service Office and Associated Student Body Office.
  • Officials with Significant Responsibility for Student and Campus Activities - An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline, and campus judicial proceedings. If such an official is a pastoral or professional counselor as defined below, the official is not considered a campus security authority when acting in those capacities. Examples of this category are: Deans of Students, Students Discipline Officials, Students Judicial Affairs Officials, Officials who oversee a student center, Officials who oversee student extracurricular activities, Director of Athletics, Team Coaches and Faculty Advisors to student groups.
  • ​At the College of the Sequoias, certain members of the Faculty and Staff have been identified as meeting the definition of Campus Security Authorities (CSA) pursuant to the Clery Act.  CSA's are individuals who are most likely to receive information of potential crimes that occur on our campus or on adjacent public properties because of their duties and/or relationships with students.  At COS, the following positions have been identified as CSA's:
                    District Police Officers
                    Deans of Student Services and administrative staff

                    ASB Director and administrative staff

​Student Success Coordinators​

                    All faculty club liaisons
                    Athletic Director, coaches and assistant coaches​

                    HR Director and staff


  1. Am I a CSA?
    • Individual who has responsibility for campus security
    • Individual specified by the university as an individual to which students should report criminal offenses
    • Official of the University who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to student discipline and campus judicial proceedings

  2. What do I have to do as a CSA?
    • Report criminal incidents that occur on campus or on COS affiliated property to the COS District Police Department.

  3. What crimes do I need to report?
    • Homicide
    • Aggravated Assault
    • Sexual Assault
    • Robbery
    • Burglary
    • Motor Vehicle Theft (Stolen vehicles)
    • Arson
    • Weapon Violations (e.g. Possession, Brandishing)
    • Alcohol Violation (e.g. Minor in possession)
    • Drug Violations
    • Hate Crimes
    • Domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking

  4. In addition to the crimes above, the crime must occur at one of the following locations:
    • On Campus
    • Off-campus but on COS Affiliated Property
    • On public property within or immediately adjacent to COS property

  5. Why is this necessary?
    • Keeping accurate crime statistics will help COS know where to provide prevention programs and safety awareness programs to help keep the campus safe.
    • The intent of including non-law enforcement personnel as CSAs is to acknowledge that many individuals, and students, in particular, are hesitant about reporting crimes to the police, but may be more inclined to report incidents to the campus-affiliated individuals.
    • If COS is found to be non-compliant with any aspect of the Clery law the university can be fined and risk losing federal funding.
    • The State of California monitors Clery Act Compliance which includes periodic audits.

  6. How do I report incidents to the Public Safety Department?
    • You should report incidents as they are reported to you. The Public Safety Department provides a form (available online) or you can report it in whatever manner is easiest for you.

  7. What happens after the District Police Department receives an incident from a CSA?
    • The Department collects all incident reports received from CSAs. The incidents are reviewed for duplication and to verify that each incident is Clery reportable. The incidents are then classified into their proper crime and geographical categories and added to the annual Clery statistics.

  8. What if I am unsure if an incident is a crime? Or if it should be reported under Clery?
    • When in doubt, report the incident. Please report as much detail as possible about the incident. The Department will determine if it is a Clery reportable crime.

  9. If the COS District Police Department isn't going to investigate these crimes, what is the purpose of reporting incidents to the District Police Department?
    • Many crimes do not get reported to the police. By collecting data from other sources, we are getting a more accurate number of crimes. This is a resource for the District community to use to make informed decisions about their safety.

  10. Are there exemptions to CSA reporting incidents?
    • Yes, certain individuals who have significant responsibility for student and campus activities are exempt from disclosing information:
      • Pastoral Counselor. A person who is associated with a religious order or denomination is recognized by that religious order as someone who provides confidential counseling and is functioning within the scope of that recognition as a pastoral counselor.
      • Professional Counselor. A person whose official responsibility includes providing mental health counseling to members of the institution's community and who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification. This definition applies even to professional counselors who are not employees of the institution but are under contract to provide counseling at the institution.
      • However, we strongly encourage everyone to report since it is for statistical purposes only.

  11. What happens if I do not report criminal incidents to the COS District Police Department?
    • The United States Department of Education is charged with enforcing the Jeanne Clery Act and may level civil penalties against institutions of higher education up to $27,500 per violation or may suspend them from participating in federal student financial aid programs. Complaints of violations should be filed with DOE regional offices.

  12. Examples: Is the incident reportable?
    • A student reports being raped while the student is home for winter break.
      • This is not a reportable incident.
    • A student reports his backpack stolen after leaving it unattended while using the library restroom.
      • This is considered theft and is not a reportable incident.
    • A student complains of being sexually harassed by a coworker while working on campus.
      • Verbal harassment is not a crime. Physical harassment must meet the sexual assault definition to be a reportable offense.
    • A student reports being in a fight at a campus library and receives serious injuries.
      • Yes, this is a reportable incident. It would be helpful to know what the specific injuries are and what type of treatment was required e.g. a broken nose, may or may not be considered a series injury based on what type of treatment was needed.
    • A staff member reports their parking permit stolen from their vehicle parked in a campus parking structure.
      • This is considered theft and is not a reportable incident.
    • A Jewish student reports his vehicle vandalized with a swastika etched into the door while parked on Campus.
      • Yes, this is a bias-motivated vandalism on public property.
    • A student reports being raped by a fellow student at his off-campus apartment in the Visalia area.
      • This is not a reportable crime because it does not meet the geographical requirements.

Crime Definitions

Murder and Non-negligent Manslaughter: The willful (non-negligent) killing of one human being by another.

Negligent Manslaughter: The killing of another person through gross negligence.

Sex Offense Forcible (F): Any sexual act directed against another person, forcibly and/or against that person's will; or not forcibly or against the person's will where the victim is incapable of giving consent: forcible rape; forcible sodomy; sexual assault with an object; and forcible fondling.

Sex Offense Non-Forcible (N): Unlawful, non-forcible sexual intercourse: incest; statutory rape.

Robbery - The taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or by putting the victim in fear.

Aggravated Assault: An unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault is usually accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm. It is not necessary for an injury to result when a gun, knife or other weapon is used in the commission of the crime.

Simple Assault: Assaults and attempted assaults where no weapon was used and which did not result in a serious or aggravated injury to the victim. (Currently, this crime category only applies to hate crimes.)

Burglary: The unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or a theft. For reporting purposes, this definition includes: unlawful entry with intent to commit a larceny or felony; breaking and entering with intent to commit a larceny; housebreaking; safecracking; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.

Motor Vehicle Theft: The theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle. (Classify as motor vehicle theft all cases where automobiles are taken by persons not having lawful access even though the vehicles are later abandoned-including joyriding.)

Arson: Any willful or malicious burning or attempt to burn, with or without intent to defraud, a dwelling house, public building, motor vehicle or aircraft, personal property of another, etc.

Liquor Law Violation : The violation of laws or ordinances prohibiting: the manufacture, sale, transporting, furnishing, possessing of intoxicating liquor; maintaining unlawful drinking places; bootlegging; operating a still, furnishing liquor to a minor or intemperate person; using a vehicle for illegal transportation of liquor; drinking on a train or public conveyance; or any attempts to commit any of the foregoing violations. Note: this list does not include public drunkenness and driving under the influence.

Drug Law Violation: Violations of State and local laws related to the possession, sale, use, growing, manufacturing, and making of narcotic drugs. The relevant substances include; opium or cocaine and their derivatives (morphine, heroin, codeine); marijuana; synthetic narcotics (Demerol, methadone(s); and dangerous non-narcotic drugs (barbiturates, Benzedrine).

Weapon Law Violation: The violation of laws or ordinances regulating weapons.

Hate Crimes: Any crime that manifests evidence that the victim was intentionally selected because of the victim's actual or perceived race; religion; gender; sexual orientation; ethnicity or physical/mental disabilities.

Disciplinary Referrals: incidents in which a student was not arrested but was referred for campus disciplinary action for liquor law violations, drug law violations, and illegal weapons possession.

Location Definitions

Campus: (i) any building or property owned or controlled by an institution within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area and used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to, the institution's educational purposes, including residence halls; and
(ii) any building or property that is within or reasonably contiguous to the area identified in paragraph (i) of this definition, that is owned by the institution but controlled by another person, is frequently used by students and supports institutional purposes (such as a food or other retail vendor).

Non-Campus: (i) Any building or property owned or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the institution; or
(ii) any building or property owned or controlled by an institution that is used in direct support of, or in relation to the institution's educational purposes, is frequently used by students and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution.

Housing: Residence Halls or other university-owned residences. The University Albany Village site is classified as a non-campus location because it is not considered contiguous to the main campus.

Public Property: public property" is defined by the Clery Act regulations as all public property including thoroughfares, streets, sidewalks, and parking facilities that is within the campus, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. Include the sidewalk across the street from your campus, but do not include public property beyond the sidewalk. 


Last Updated: 9/26/2018 8:44 AM