Transfer and Articulation


California Community college students can begin their college studies at a community college and transfer to a four year university to obtain a bachelor’s degree. With the assistance of a community college counselor, students will complete their lower division requirements (freshman and sophomore years) at a community college and transfer into the university at their junior level. COS strives to ensure that all students have the opportunity to obtain a bachelor's degree  by establishing degrees that promote transfer, courses that articulate to four year universities, and articulation agreements that benefit the student by limiting the amount of time and money spent at the four-year institutions.


When the word "articulation" is used in education, it often has different meanings and connotations, depending on the setting. Articulation, for our purposes, refers specifically to course articulation--that is, the process of developing a formal, written agreement that identifies course (or sequences of courses) on a "sending" campus that are comparable to, or acceptable in lieu of, specific course requirements at a "receiving" campus. Successful completion of an articulated course assures the student and the faculty that the student has taken the appropriate course, received the necessary instruction and preparation, and that similar outcomes can be assured, enabling progression to the next level of instruction at the receiving institution (Source: Handbook for California Articulation Policies & Procedures).

Articulated vs. Transferable?


Transfer Pathways

California State University (CSU)
Last Updated: 4/15/2015 8:41 AM